Our Shared Role
Students with autism can be difficult to teach. Our teachers are required to learn a wide variety of skills over and above their basic training as teachers. We ask a lot of our teachers.
We understand that for an education programme to be successful there needs to be shared responsibility between the family and school. Together we can make a positive, transformational difference to the lives of each one of our students with autism.
The Needs of Families
We are committed to developing a positive relationship with parents as we share responsibly for the teaching the individual education plan (IEP) .
Our Eden teaching team strive to provide families with
- An accurate picture of their child’s abilities, challenges and learning style and preferences
- Feedback on teaching approaches and methods that have been successful
- Encouragement to think about long-term goals for their child, and to begin the process of long-term planning early in each child’s life
To formalize the collaboration process between families and our education team, we have developed:
Parent Performance Agreement
This is an agreement for parents to pledge your support to the School’s efforts to provide a fruitful learning journey for your child.
Expectations covered in the agreement Include:
Training and Communication Sessions
- Ensure that your child abides with school rules
- Follow-up on school reports
- Check the Communications Handbook daily
- Attend all compulsory Parents Communication & Training Sessions (PCT)
- Support completion of Holiday Homework
- PROMPT payment of school fees
- Understand that fees applicable to school holidays
(because staff needs to be paid too)
- Abide by the Child Withdrawal Policy
- Reinforce at home key intervention methodologies i.e.: Use of Visual Schedules; Time Management; Life Skills Training; Volume Thermometer etc
The Parent Communication and Training sessions are being planned on a termly basis. Please see the Parent Communication & Training Session page for updates.